Remaining at home with the assistance of a caregiver is the preferred living arrangement for many seniors and others who need some help but wish to retain their independence.
Using A Home Care Agency Vs. Hiring Directly
To find the right caregiver, most people turn to a full-service home care agency like Assisting Hands which screens, hires and trains its employees. Families sometimes believe they will save some money by hiring a Pearland, TX caregiver directly rather than working with an agency. When they hire someone directly, they become the employer and are fully responsible for their caregiver employee. There are important considerations that people should be aware of before making this important decision.
According to a home health care OKC company, more than 10,000 Americans are turning 65 every day. This means that more and more seniors are turning to family members and home care agencies to ensure they have what they need to thrive their twilight years. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you look into the options:
- A home care agency that employs caregivers is bonded, insured and covers their employees under worker’s compensation. Independent (direct hire) caregivers who do not work for an agency do not carry their own liability insurance or worker’s compensation. If an accident or other incident occurs on the job, the employer (the client) would likely be responsible, costing the client hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
- A home care agency like Assisting Hands Pearland will offer to provide a replacement if the caregiver cannot make it to work. If an independent caregiver calls off or doesn’t show up, the client will need a back-up plan since there won’t be an agency involved to send a replacement.
- Independent caregivers cannot be bonded. Bonding provides theft protection for the client.
- If hiring directly, the client is the employer and is therefore responsible for training, disciplinary action and terminating the caregiver if necessary. If using a home care agency, the agency handles these responsibilities.
- If hiring a caregiver directly, the client needs to be able to assess the quality and skill level of the caregiver. This is especially important if the client requires hands-on personal care, has limited mobility, dementia or Alzheimer’s. A quality home care agency trains and tests their caregivers, and can attest to their skill levels.
- By law, the client (employer) is responsible for filing payroll taxes, tax forms, and verifying that the employee can legally work in the U.S.
The team at Assisting Hands Pearland understands that in today’s tight economic times, saving money and using resources wisely is more important than ever. However, the client should carefully consider the risks of hiring a local caregiver in Pearland directly instead of working with a local home care agency.