This is by no means an exhaustive list of links, but we think our clients will find these links helpful.
Determining the Services Needed. How we choose the Caregiver.
Assisting Hands Monthlies
Each month we post valuable information for our readers. Bookmark this page and visit monthly for more information.
- Alzheimer’s Awareness. What caregivers should know. Understand the three stages of Alzheimer’s disease and how caregivers can help patients in each of these stages.
- 8 Symptoms of Mental Illness. How to spot symptoms of mental illness in the elderly.
- Self-Care And Stress Management. Managing your care when caring for others.
- Rekindling Holiday Traditions. Not everything has to be holiday specific. Family time and quiet activities together take on new meaning.
- Quality of Life with Arthritis. While arthritis may be difficult, there are also many options for improving quality of life.
- Sundowners. A soft word, but a difficult condition.
- Meditation for Calm and Health. Meditation is an activity that helps older adults learn how to be in the moment.
- Aqua Therapy. Aquatic exercise and therapy can be key to combatting falls.
- Parkinson’s Disease. With early detection and care, seniors can experience many years of fulfillment.
- Eating Challenges. When eating is no longer enjoyable, it may be tempting to skip eating.
- Games for Health. Being happily engaged in games or activities has many health benefits.
- Food Safety. Tips for avoiding pathogens in food.
- Television and Seniors. What are the pluses and minuses of watching TV?
- Mental Health. A look at the challenges affecting seniors.
- Starting a Fitness Routine. Some tips for mapping out a workout.
- Positivity and Health. Positivity has an affect on our health. Learn why.
- Organizing Finances. It may not be your favorite subject, but sooner or later you might need to address the topic with your older loved ones.
- Kidney Disease. Because our kidneys support so many of our body’s functions, it is important to pay attention to their health.
- Benefits of Yoga. Many yoga postures can increase flexibility, mobility, strength and balance through low-impact movement.
- Foot Health. How to keep feet healthy.
- Intergenerational Care. Raising children while caring for elderly parents.
- Asthma. Symptoms, triggers and how to control asthma.
- New Year’s Goals. Personal, Health and Financial Goals for Seniors.
- Dance For Health. Movement is important for older adults and dance has the greatest protection against dementia than any other leisure activity.
- Pneumonia. Pneumonia is the most serious for people older than 65 and people with existing health challenges or weakened immune systems.
- Pain Awareness. How to identify and assess pain.
- Caring for Aging Skin. Things you can do to help aging skin.
- Gratitude For Your Health. The power of gratitude in healing.
- Loneliness And The Effect On Mental Health. Signs, types and risks of loneliness.
- COPD. Symptoms, who it effects and treatment
- A Recipe For Health And Nutrition. Meeting a Senior’s Dietary Needs.
- Music as Therapy. Music as a means to improve brain health.
- Staying Connected Online. The Next Best Thing to Being There.
- Illness-Related Precautions. Helping Seniors – and Yourself – Stay Safer.
- Respite Care. What you need to know about Respite Care.
- Elder Abuse. Protect loved ones by knowing the signs and what to do if you see them.
- Loss & Grief. Helping Seniors Cope with the Loss of a Loved One.
- What Is Rehabilitation Therapy. Therapies for your Senior.
- Conversation Starters. Tips for Communicating with Seniors.
- Seniors & Pet Therapy. What is Pet Therapy, and What are the Benefits for Seniors?
- Supporting Seniors’ Nutritional Health. Recognizing Nutritional Problems in Seniors.
- Sharpening Seniors’ Minds. How to Help Seniors Maintain Their Minds and Memories.
- Keeping Seniors Safe On The Road. Driving Safety for Older Adults.
- Sundowners Syndrome. How To Help Seniors Through Sundowners Syndrome.
- Helping Seniors Through Transitions In Aging. Supporting Seniors Through Age-Related Transitions.
- Tips For A Safe & Happy Holiday Season For Seniors. Support Senior Safety and Happiness During the Holiday Season.
- Senior Men’s Health Issues. Ten Health Problems Senior Men Face.
- Breast Cancer Awareness For Seniors. What Senior Women Need to Know About Breast Cancer.
- Prostate Health For Aging Adults. Why screening for prostate cancer is vital.
- Aging Adults and Diabetes. What you need to know.
- Unifying A Senior’s Care Team. Tips on how to help a team work together.
- National Women’s Health Week. Tips on how to maintain your health during the senior years.
- Emergency Contact Plan. Helping Seniors Create An Emergency Contact Plan
- What Seniors Need To Know About Osteoporosis. How this medical condition affects seniors.
- Preventative Health Strategies For Seniors. As Seniors Age, Their Risk of Disease and Health Problems Increases
- Top Tips For Traveling With Seniors. Reduce travel risks by employing these top tips.
- Help Seniors Prevent Hearing Loss. Prevent further loss and cope healthily.
- Allergies and Senior Care. How To Help Seniors With Allergies.
- Understand Cholesterol And Its Effects. Helping Seniors Maintain Healthy Cholesterol Levels.
- Exercises That Are Safe For Seniors. Use these exercises to encourage seniors to stay healthy.
- How To Help Seniors Make The Most Of Doctor Visits. Ideas to help seniors navigate doctor visits well.
- How To Make The Holidays Special For Seniors. Creating holiday meals and memories seniors will love.
- Why Seniors Should Share With Younger People. Connecting with the younger generation.
- Fun Crafts To Do With The Elderly During Holidays. Making special holiday crafts together is both easy and fun.
- Caregiver Burnout: Signs & Coping Tips. What are the signs of caregiver burnout? Tips to help.
- Arthritis and Senior Care. What you need to know about Arthritis and senior care.
- Long Distance Care For Seniors and Their Families. How to care for senior loved ones by long distance.
- Heart Health For Seniors. Types of heart problems, symptoms and when you should schedule a doctor’s appointment.
- Seniors Coping With Loss Of Independence. How to help with this frustrating problem.
- Find The Right Caregiver For Your Elderly Parent. Steps to take to help make the right decision.
- Tips For Seniors During Sleep Awareness Month. How aging affects sleep and tips for improving sleep patterns.
- Diet Advice For Seniors With Kidney Health Problems. Tips for following a kidney healthy diet.
- Help Seniors Protect Themselves From Scams. A list of the most common scams and how to avoid them.
- Stroke Awareness. Facts about strokes and tips to preventing them.
- Multiple Sclerosis: The Basics You Need To Know. Q&A about Multiple Sclerosis, symptoms and diagnosis options.
- Facing End Of Life Care Options. Understanding the options for end of life care.
- Caring For Mentally Alert Seniors With Physical Limitations. The challenges of physical limitations and how to cope with them.
- Seniors And Animal Care. Planning for pets, tips and therapeutic benefits.
- Help Seniors Stay Sharp. How seniors can protect their brain health.
- Helping Seniors Manage Psoriasis. Managing psoriasis can improve quality of life.
- Protect Seniors’ Dental Health. Common dental challenges and the importance of dental care.
- Assistive Technology For Seniors. Devices that can help seniors on a daily basis.
- Tips For Healthy Aging. Taking care of your health for a higher quality of life.
- M Jane Markley Consulting
Advance care planning information
Everything from symptoms, caring and prevention
- National Association of Senior Move Managers
Information on organizations that specialize in senior relocation – facilitating the physical, emotional, and logistical aspects of the move.
Guides to senior housing, including age restricted housing, retirement communities, independent living, assisted living, and nursing homes.
- Senior Housing Net
Another guide to senior housing.
Family Caregiver Support
Information on education, peer support, government support services, and family care givers.
- Caregiver Action Network
- Family Caregiver Alliance
- Respite Care: What is it and how can you access it? The Arc, Montgomery County
- Respite Care: Coordination and application, The Arc, Montgomery County
Information on driver safety programs for seniors and help with difficult conversations around vehicle use.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- AARP Driver Safety Program
- AAA Senior Driving Information
- Able Data
Provides information on the assistive devices for people of all ages.
Senior Specific Organizations
- Sixty and Me
A guide to national help/resources on aging issues with links to state pages.
Provides a wealth of information regarding senior citizens including medical, legal, and other information and services.
Trusted professionals who keep clients financially organized and independent by offering customized services to help manage bills, budgets, record keeping and health insurance. Association
- Aging Life Care Association
Provides a locator service to find geriatric case managers to assisting in care and housing options.
- Jewish Council for the Aging
Provides local programs and information for older adults and their families.
- Eldercare Locator
Public service of the Administration on Aging providing links to local services.
- Geriatric Mental Health Foundation
Offers information for older adults, family members, and caregivers on health and living related topics.
Provides a variety of resources to seniors, including help lines, exercise, wellness and nutrition programs, care management and counseling services, and legal and insurance assistance in the DC area.
- Maryland 211
Call 211 to be connected to various health and human service resources in MD.
- Maryland Association for Senior Centers
Provides information on Senior Centers and their programs.
- Benefits Check Up
Provides tools to determine adult eligibility for federal, state, and private benefit programs.
- Montgomery County Senior Site
Provides general information about senior health and wellness programs and services available in Montgomery County.
- NCOA (National Council on Aging)
Numerous resources, such as advice for caregivers, help navigating Medicare, self-management workshops for ongoing health issues, evaluation of your medical benefits, and a center for healthy aging.