Are you a caregiver? Or have you considered a career as a caregiver? Everyday, caregivers make an amazing difference in the lives of their clients and their clients’ families. But the job is so much more than taking care of just physical needs! The best professional home caregivers go above and beyond their typical duties and really build a strong relationship with the senior in their care. They are appreciated in so many ways! For many of our client, the caregiver can feel like a member of the family!
What makes a great caregiver? It’s a mix of all different kinds of skills. Here’s a list of the top 10 qualities that make a caregiver stand out from the rest. It’s just a few of the characteristics Assisting Hands looks for when hiring our staff:
- Compassion and empathy: Great caregivers try to understand and connect with what a client is going through and know how to ease the client’s anxiety or discomfort.
- Patience and flexibility: Each day is different and unforeseen challenges may arise. Great caregivers understand this and deal with changes in a positive manner.
- Passion for what they do: Caregivers who are passionate about their job genuinely care about people in need. Their enthusiastic attitude has a positive effect on their clients.
- Reliability and trustworthiness: Consistent timeliness is a must for all great caregivers, as well maintaining confidentiality about the client and the client’s family (unless the information puts the safety, well-being and protection of the client at risk).
- Professionalism: Everyone has an “off” day, but great caregivers know they can’t let personal emotions get in the way of their responsibilities. The needs of the client come first.
- Attentive and responsive: Great caregivers need to be at the top of their game at all time and aware of a client’s needs, particularly when he or she is unable to communicate them.
- Supportive and encouraging: Great caregivers learn how to identify the kind of encouragement and support each client needs and then provides it consistently.
- Physically fit with a strong constitution: A home caregiver needs the strength to assist with tasks such as helping a client get out of bed or bathing assistance. It’s not a job for the squeamish, as there are times when caregivers must clean up bodily fluids and help with toileting.
- Strong communication: The ability to communicate crucial details regarding a client’s care is such an essential part of a caregiver’s job. It fosters trust and understanding between everyone involved.
- Creative and innovative: Sometimes it can be a challenge engaging clients. Great caregivers are creative in the activities they plan and know how to keep the client interested and involved.
Caregivers wear so many hats and juggle a variety of important responsibilities. That’s why it’s so important to find a home health caregiver that will treat your loved one like a member of his or her own family. If you’re looking for a skilled, compassionate and professional caregiver to take care of a loved one, Assisting Hands is ready to help. Our services are available throughout Montgomery County, MD and Northern VA, including Fairfax County. And if you are looking to become a caregiver, we’d love to talk to you. Call us in Maryland at 301-363-2580 or in Virginia at 703-556-8983.