After turning 50, many people start having health-related issues and may have to change their diet. Even if you’ve lived a healthy 50 years, it is crucial to know what your nutritional needs are at this age so that you can live out your golden years healthy and happily. It is always best to consult with a registered dietitian so you can improve your health through eating smart.
Planning Healthy Meals is Important
Older adults should plan their meals properly so that they can get the nutrition they need to support healthy aging. To make sure you get the most nutrition out of the food you consume, here are some tips you should know so you can live healthy and prevent disease:
- Each food group should be included in your diet so you can avoid getting diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and even heart disease. You should always have foods that have no saturated fat, sodium, or added sugar.
- You should be consuming seafood, dairy, or fortified soy, as well as beans, peas, and lentils so that you consume enough protein.
- To keep your bones healthy, you should consume foods high in calcium, however, because it can be difficult to get the calcium levels you need through food, you may have to take a vitamin D supplement.
- Foods high in fiber such as beans, vegetables, fruits, and nuts, will help you stay regular and aid in digestion and overall energy levels.
- Your meals and snacks should include chopped fruit and veggies.
- Your meals should include foods that contain vitamin B12 such as cereal, or you can take a supplement of it as well.
- Sodium should be limited and instead your food should be seasoned with herbs and citrus.
- You should consume water during the day so you can stay hydrated. This helps with digesting food and getting nutrients to your body. Make sure to stay away from drinks that are sugary such as soda.
Food Patterns Developed by the USDA
There are various food patterns that the USDA has developed which can help you understand ways you can eat healthy. Here they are:
- Healthy U.S – Style Eating Pattern: This food pattern focuses on food that Americans typically eat. It includes eating lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fat-free or low-fat diet, as well as seafood, poultry, and meat, as well as eggs, nuts, seeds, and soy products.
- Healthy Mediterranean – Style Eating Pattern: This diet has more focus on fruits and seafood and contains less dairy than the U.S. Style Eating Pattern.
- Healthy Vegetarian Eating Pattern: In this diet, there is no meat, poultry, or seafood. However, it contains fat-free or low-fat dairy. It has more soy products, eggs, beans, seeds, and whole grains.
Make sure to consult your doctor before starting any diet so that you can focus on the one that is best for your age, health, and food preferences.
It is extremely important to take the time to plan your meals and not have to answer the last-minute question of “what should I eat?” every day. This will help you make sure you eat the food that is good for you and that will keep you healthy. Here are some ways you can plan healthy meals quickly and efficiently:
- Plan your meals: This will help you make sure you cook and eat healthy food and you don’t have to think about what you will eat at the last minute.
- Eating foods you can afford: You should always make a shopping list ahead so you can buy the foods you can afford but that you are also glad to be eating.
- Think about prep time: Always think ahead about meals you would like to make and how long it takes to make them. Take into consideration what you have going on that day and if additional people are eating with you so you can plan accordingly.
- Keep calories at bay: Make sure to speak to your doctor before starting a new diet, however once you have, make sure to follow the recommended caloric intake when preparing your meals.
Find Recipes that Appeal to You
There are many websites where you can find easy recipes that you will enjoy preparing for you and your loved ones. You can consult the USDA website for tools and resources that will work best for you. This will help you create an easy meal plan to follow and enjoy eating.
Senior Home Care & Companion Care Services
Are you or a loved one in need of senior home care? Assisting Hands Home Care in Broward Country, FL can help. Many family members try to take care of their loved ones and while it is admirable, it can take be difficult for you and your family. This is why an agency like Assisting Hands can help as our professional caregivers will care for your loved one with compassion and respect. We offer companion care, to help your loved one avoid isolation. Our caregivers will engage them in friendly conversation, play games with them, and make sure they are well cared for. Our caregivers can also help with meal preparation to ensure that your loved ones stick to their diet and meal plan.
For more information about our senior home care and companion care services in Hollywood, FL, and the surrounding areas, make sure to call us at (954) 859-2271.