When it comes to flavors of the season, it is no contest that apple is the go-to for September. Apple…
Every single day, we have the daunting task of trying to decide what we’re going to cook for dinner. Sometimes we’re just feeding ourselves; other times we’re feeding our whole families. The choice ultimately comes down to: 1. Do I need to go to the grocery store? 2. Do I even have time to cook? 3. Should I just order takeout?
Takeout can get expensive so you can’t rely on it regularly. Sometimes you just don’t know what you want to make and other days you don’t have a lot of time to cook. That’s why the crockpot was invented!
Here are 3 quick, easy, and healthy recipes with only a few ingredients (many of which you probably have around your home).
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
This one is one of the easiest recipes and it’s really good for you too!
- 1 chicken breast per person eating (or plan for some leftovers…this keeps great!)
- 1 medium jar favorite salsa in the heat level of your choice
- Cajun seasoning (if you like spicy)
- Brown rice
- Place entire chicken breast in crockpot, season lightly with salt and pepper. (NOTE: If you’re cutting salt out of your diet for health concerns, try saltless seasonings like Mrs. Dash. For this recipe, the Garlic & Herbs Mrs. Dash seasoning is a great option!)
- IF you like (and can handle) spiciness, add 1 tbsp of Cajun seasoning spread along the top of all chicken breasts.
- Dump (yes, DUMP) salsa on top of the chicken. Cover the entire top of the chicken breast with salsa.
- Cover crockpot and cook chicken on low for 4-5 hours (until cooked through).
- Once chicken is complete, cook brown rice according to directions on the box.
- Remove chicken from crockpot, shred with a fork (or cut into pieces), and serve over rice with a side of your favorite veggie. (It goes great with spinach salads or baked broccoli!)
Quinoa Mexican Tacos
For when you’re craving Mexican food but want it to be healthy (and cheap), these tacos are a great way to go!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes in tomato juice
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning
- Whole Wheat (or gluten-free) tortillas
- Place all ingredients except tortillas in crockpot on high for 4 hours.
- When quinoa is cooked all the way through, serve on tortillas, and add salsa and sliced avocado as a little addition!
- That’s it. It’s really that easy!
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
This may sound weird, but it’s so delicious, and kids even love it!
- 1 head cauliflower
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 can cheddar soup, condensed
- 1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Grease crock pot with olive oil cooking spray and place cauliflower florets in pot.
- In medium saucepan, combine remaining ingredients over medium heat and stir constantly until cheese is melted.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower florets.
- Cook on low for 3 ½ – 4 hours.
We hope you enjoy these simple, easy and healthy crockpot meals. If you make too much, freeze the leftovers for later.
Did you know that falls are the leading cause of injury deaths, unintentional injuries, and hospital admissions for trauma among…
World Alzheimer’s Month is an international opportunity to educate, encourage support, raise awareness, and challenge the stigma that surrounds dementia….