When it comes to flavors of the season, it is no contest that apple is the go-to for September. Apple…
You do all that you can do to help your loved one have the best life that they are able to have based upon their circumstances. Helping with their needs for daily living is paramount but also consider the importance of what can be done to improve their life’s quality and joy. Sometimes it can be simple and easy things that can be incorporated that make a dramatic difference to their outlook and intrinsic happiness.
Here are 5 things that can be done that can help create a positive change and improve the overall quality of your loved one’s life.
- One great change is to remove clutter which will greatly reduce fall risks. Clutter is one of the top causes for falls which is why it’s so important to clear the clutter and thus make accessibility easier. Since one person’s clutter is another person’s treasure, consider donating the items to Goodwill.
- Add a smoothie to your diet which is a simple way to eat your daily servings of fruits and veggies. Smoothies are filled with fiber, vitamins, and minerals and there are a ton of combinations for every taste so explore the possibilities. An added bonus to making smoothies is cost because ingredients can be inexpensive and quick to make. You can plan ahead by preparing the fruits and vegetables to be frozen in a freezer bag. Ripened bananas are especially nice to free for smoothies because they add a natural sweetness and creaminess when used from the freezer to the blender. Be sure to add things like kale, spinach and/or turmeric for an added boost.
- Consider mindful activities. There is a lot of research supporting the importance of mindfulness. By just adding meditation, or chair yoga can improve quality of life. Also writing down your feelings, goals, and prayers in a journal can be extremely beneficial and therapeutic.
- Learn something new. Studies show that learning something new can help prevent dementia and ward off boredom. Technology has made it possible for seniors to learn just about anything. There are great new apps and YouTube videos that make learning easy and fun. Today, there are endless opportunities including learning a new language to writing music and everything in-between.
- Explore home subscription boxes for seniors from places like HelloSubscriptions.com. They offer a wide variety of fun, monthly subscriptions such as “Grandma’s Joy Box” which offers a creative way to make memories. An internet search will provide many senior related options.
If you need assistance with the care of your loved one, be sure to visit www.assistinghands.com to find a location near you. We have trained, professional caregivers who are available to provide the help you may need.
Did you know that falls are the leading cause of injury deaths, unintentional injuries, and hospital admissions for trauma among…
World Alzheimer’s Month is an international opportunity to educate, encourage support, raise awareness, and challenge the stigma that surrounds dementia….